Sunday, May 22, 2011

Sunday = Church

Was a really nice day at church today. Elder Evans (member of the seventy) and Elder Vinson visited and spoke in our ward and taught Gospel Doctrine. He opened the class to some questions and our Stake Patriach later asked 'How can we help struggling children?'. Elder Evans then said that that was probably the most important question that could have been asked and discused in the class. His counsel was great. He started by reminding everyone that if you look at the BOM there are three major families - Lehi's family, Alma's family, and Helaman's family - and each had family members who struggled. And in most cases we don't have to look far into our own families (whether it be children, parents, siblings, or cousins) to discover those family challenges faced by Lehi and others are relevant to each of us. He then referred to the councel the Lord gives in D&C 121 'Reproving (correcting) betimes (early, not delayed)with sharpness (clarity, accurate) when moved upon by the Holy Ghost' which obviusly doesn't include anger, malice, or frustration. But perhaps the most important step which we have a tendancy to neglect is showing an increse of love afterwards. Elder Evans shared a few experiences and explained that this was key. There is no guarantee that our children with stay close to the Lord but as parent today I learnt to  never  push them away or consistently remind them of the wrong they are doing, but to encourage and love to the end. So.....After that sermon...
Today I am grateful for a wonderful and strong mother who always found a way to teach in most situations and never pushed me away even when I was. Grateful also for my Dad for loving me, although he doesn't always show it I know he does.

1 comment:

N.A.D.I.A said...

Thanks for the recap - I was totally not listening! Naughty ay? We were too busy thinking about the other silly questions that were asked and that just threw us off the rest of the lesson but I did catch some of what he said and enjoyed the parts I was actually listening to the spirit for!