Monday, May 23, 2011

Elephants never forget and neither will I......

Obviously this is another Africa post so.........apologies if you're over it, and if not enjoy!

It all started with Stanford yelling out ELEPHANT while pointing to our right which then sets off a chain of events. First of all the spotter ( stanford) is allowed to revel in all the compliments that come from his fellow safarians ( if thats even a word) like "Great Spotting!" or " You have an eye like an eagle" which then always turns into a unison "wooowww". On spotting the first elephant we were all so excited as he or she was walking right toward our jeep, but then out from behind another bush stepped another elephant! then another one and another one and another one, until we counted about a herd of 30 elephants male, female and perfect little baby (calf?) elephants.
It was the most adorable and lovely scene really. The slow but very deliberate movements as well as protection of the the younger ones was inspiring. The way they stuck so closely together just like a family should was beautiul. I just remember it was all so quiet except the clicking of our cameras, one safarian went so far as to say for him it was somewhat of a euphoric experience  being allowed to be a fly on the wall so to speak and you couldnt help but feel priviledged to be there and be allowed to look on. hope the pics do the experience justice.









Next post, I will try and twist Stanfords arm to write about being charged by a bull Elephant :)  I wasn't there unfortunately but the photos make me think that if I was,  I would've either cried or wet my pants :P
have a elephant happy day!

1 comment:

N.A.D.I.A said...

officially jealous!

I could watch them for hours...